Monday, May 4, 2020

Australian Wildfires as an Introduction to the 2020 pandemic


Am I the only one who skips, or occasionally skims introductions? 
I was recently inspired by this video.  The first thing I did was share it with my daughter.

We were both blown away by the Australian Wildfires exchange.  It's embarrassing, but we honestly hadn't thought about those in a while, and she actually released an ant out of our house today; that's how much of an animal person she is.  Koalas being rescued is a powerful image for her.  In light of what followed, they are surprisingly minimized. 

When tragedy strikes in the world, one constant is Mr. Rogers's "Look for the helpers" quote.  It initiates some powerful hope amid destruction and suffering.  News coverage of truckloads of donated supplies and volunteers caring for strangers is one of the best things about the media, and is my favorite time to engage with it.  We are still seeing media coverage of boxes of homemade masks being donated to various organizations and similar efforts during the pandemic.  It's just not moving me, even though I have been making & donating them.

There is no isolated location for this crisis.  It's affecting the whole world.  If you were to go back and talk to pre-pandemic you, what would you say?  Stock up on TP?  It doesn't really capture it, even though that has been a truly huge adjustment through this, for personal and industrial implications.

Maybe I'm still in shock, but I think the fact that the Australian wildfires have been reduced is the most powerful and accurate way to describe the severity of the current situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cars 3 in the pandemic and life changes

Cars 3 Trailer I've been binge-watching the whole Cars series, including Planes (of course).  This particular movie is speaking to ...