Monday, May 4, 2020

Pandemic Changes and Preschool Tantrums

We're a few months into the COVID-19 pandemic right now, and virtually everyone is affected.

There are many people working to battle the spread, flatten the curve, and work toward a vaccine. Many are supporting those caring for infected individuals, making cloth masks to increase protection, conserve use and increase the production of other PPE and respirators, and much more. . .

There are daily updates on statistics around the world and locally.  There are experts and leaders giving press conferences regularly.  All this is important and helpful, and yet, so many are struggling.

I know that I am lucky.  I'm still having my preschool-mood days.  I think a lot of others are, as well.  I do my best to find laughter and distraction.  Spreading love and supporting the efforts are at the front of my mind.  I still feel angry and whiny and frustrated and stuck.

The preschool analogy has stuck with me since my place of work closed.  I loved my job and hope to return to it.  What the future holds is one big question mark, however.  And that fits with preschoolers.  They have routines and know when snacktime is, but if they miss a nap or their routine gets interrupted, they get angry.  They feel and think things they cannot communicate or understand or process.  That makes them prone to tantrums.

I may or may not be having tantrums.



We want to know when this will end.  We just want this to be over; I hear that comment so often.  We want to get back to life as usual.  However, we are starting a new normal.  This season will be long enough to be its own season, if not a new world.  We don't want to think about that.

When things get closer to normal, I hope we will remember the longing for connection.  I hope it will increase our appreciation for safe interaction with strangers and those outside our homes.  Right now, we are being.  We want to be doing.  I hope our post-pandemic balance between those will be better than before.

I'm afraid there will be judgment and negativity thriving on social media about individuals.  I'm afraid that families & relationships will be divided by their differences of opinion and approach.  The fear that we have in these times, both the rational and irrational, makes the negative implications quite possible.

Somehow being able to label something that is not understandable makes it less aggravating and peace more possible.  My hope with this is that seeing the parallels between the pandemic experience and the preschool-age growth and development will help us have grace with ourselves and others.  Ignoring the problems is not the answer.  Attempting to ignore them will likely make them worse.  By all means, express yourself!  As a balance, please try and move toward the person you want to become, and hopefully part of the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cars 3 in the pandemic and life changes

Cars 3 Trailer I've been binge-watching the whole Cars series, including Planes (of course).  This particular movie is speaking to ...